Shop till you drop

My husband was born a Singaporean and except for his eldest sister, the rest of his family are still Singaporeans. And they are all living in the island republic. As for my husband, he is now a Malaysian citizen.

With all my in-laws in Singapore, we get the opportunity to travel to the island republic very often in a year. And when my father-in-law passed away almost 2 years ago, the trips back South have been more frequent since my mother-in-law is literally alone most days. She stays with 2 of her daughters, both unmarried and are busy with their own work commitments during the weekdays.

The trips to Singapore to visit the family (in-laws) doesn't bother me. In fact, I rather enjoy them. Hey, how many people get the chance to travel "overseas" as often as my children and I do in a year? Well, the island republic is across the Malacca Straits, isn't it? And it is NOT part of Malaysia anymore, right? One needs to have an international passport to enter the country. And lets not forget the ever strict security checks each and every time...honestly, my children are the envy of their friends.

While we split the religious festivities and alternate between Singapore and Perlis (my kampung), the 2 periods that going down to Singapore are musts are in July and December. Yup, during the Great Singapore Sale. Currency exchange included, it is still worth the trip to go down there and shop till you drop!

Besides the price cut, retailers on the island seemed to work together to make this season work for them AND the island. You can feel the excitement in the air the moment you step onto the island. Everyday you read in their dailies of sales, sales related activities, happenings in and around tourist attraction spots...some known outlets even have special discounts for Malaysians, on top of their sale prices!

It has come to a stage that I have forgotten what it feesl like to shop in Kuala Lumpur, since the past few years our family shopping sprees are centered on the island republic. Even friends who used to be cynical and don't have a positive opinion of the country, now slot in a few days trip down south in their annual holiday planner.

Talk about Halal Hub...you find more tourists from the middle east countries, too. Many food outlets realise this segment is a profitable market so they ensure their outlets are certified Halal by their Islamic religious authority. I can attest to this for my husband's oldest brother is the one who goes around checking out these spots to ensure compliance. New malls provide modern and clean suraus; otherwise walk a short distance to the nearest mosque in the area. With all these concerns taken care of, you can really shop till you drop!

I always do that...every time.

Comments

Popular Posts