Mistaken identity, mistake in identity

Remember my take on this international financial institution known for its customer service?

Well, following my recent experience trying to activate my on-line facilities (hey, you got to keep up with technology, ya?), I thought matters were resolved when I received my card statements on-line for the first time this month.

The instructions to open the statement in pdf format were simple enough. So I thought. But try as I might, I failed to get to read the statements, what more get past the window asking me for the password statement identification. I checked and re-checked several times the information asked. I was sure I keyed in the numbers and data correctly.

Finally, exasperated with the situation, I called their customer care line. Fast forwarding through the steps instructed by the voice that sounded like Ramona's, I finally got to speak to a human personnel. No complains there - she was polite and courteous, andn she did all the required background checks before proceeding to help me with my issue then.

No problem, she graciously said. She will walk me through the process and verify data I needed to key in against what is in their system for confirmation. And then, when it came to my birthdate, there was the confusion. She quoted me numbers that would age me 10 years more than what I am now! Good golly miss molly...there we have it. No wonder I failed to activate my on-line account and all other on-line stuff. They have all these while recorded my birthyear as 19xx+10 instead!

I asked her to reconfirm if this is the case, and she did. Apparently from a typing or data entry error made since the time I applied to be their cardmember almost 20 years ago. But she can't do anything to change the information unless I fax her a clear copy of my MyKad with an instruction for her to rectify the mistake. Not much in terms of an apology. And to think that since then, I have updated them with my MyKad number, which bears my birthyear as the first 4 digits. Yet, no one bothered to verify and contact me to enquire which of the data is correct.

Well, I still have faith in this institution. Every customer focused institution is entittled to a service mistake once in a while. Weighing this unpleasant incident against all the good experiences I have with them, I will still be a good client.

I mean, what is but one mistake? You think?? Well, let me get into that in another posting.

Comments

Popular Posts