When push comes to shove...

It goes to show how much the average Malaysian family comes to depend on the services of foreign maids in their daily lives.


Our Indonesian maid returned to her home-town of East Java for a month's holiday after more than 2 years of her stay with our family. While my in-laws offerred to help out - mum-in-law especially was all prepared to come over from Singapore to ease our burden in Bibik's absence - I figured this would be an opportune time for our family to be independent.


We have been pretty dependent of the services of maids since our son was born in 1999. The first one was from Pattani, Southern Thailand, the second from Acheh, Indonesia and now, this one from East Java, Indonesia.


So it was that we all now have to chip and put in our two cents worth around the house. Well, we still haven't really gotten the hang of total independence yet; hardly a week into Bibik's leave from duty, we will be travelling down to Singapore for a 10-day vacation.


But in these few days of being maid-less, we seem to be doing pretty well...goes to show that push comes to shove, anything can be achieved!

Comments

Nancy Poh said…
I stopped using a maid when I decided to be a stay home mom, so I know what you are going through. To cut down on time taken on cleaning and housework, I have devised a lot of tricks that I have posted as slideshows on my blogs. That way, my children can also learn from them.

There is one where I teach my kids to keep the house clean with their old socks. I also post slideshows of recipies of the dishes they love to eat as I think that they are more likely to learn to cook dishes they enjoy.

Let me know if you need help finding these links.

Popular Posts