What a journey...

Well well well, what do you know...already we'll be going into the middle of January 2012, and this is just my first entry for the year! The last one was, whoa...in June of last year.

Many events have taken place since...the more known ones being my formal foray into the world of home-baking and home-cooking. Opps, that didn't really come out right. Of course I have been baking and cooking at home for so many donkey years, what I meant was, as a business, income generator, money making...you know.

I have to say big chunks of thanks to an ex-colleague for actually giving me that first break. Apparently she has been following my home-cooking posts on my facebook page (where else, eh what?) and sent me a private message asking me to cater food for a function she was organising. I immediately said YES although I have not done that before - plan the menu, quote a price, cook the dishes, and deliver them to be in time for the function.

Boy, am I glad I did. And since, I had been trying out various recipes that I came across on-line and on food bloggers pages, giving them tweeks to suit my style and taste. Orders did not came rolling in non-stop but I didn't expect them to. Rather, that friend's order put me in a position to re-look at my home-based business(es) more clearer.

When I think about it, I have always been in the 'food' business. As a little girl of Primary 3 in Kota Kinabalu, I helped sell friedn bihoon and nasi lemak at school during recess...the school didn't have a canteen then, and the 2 food vendors who came to sell snacks during recess time did not sell halal food for the Muslim students.

That stint did not last long for the vendors lodged a complaint to the school principal, I was called up and told to stop. Sigh...no regrets though.

Then when I was working way back in the '90s, I baked and sold chocolate chip cookies for aidil fitri and aidil adha. Business boomed and all thanks to my husband who appointed himself as the Marketing Head. Mum helped get ingredients that ran out so I would not have to interrupt my baking to run to the stores. And working out of my parents Taman Tun kitchen, I got to know Bake With Yen who started their operations from 2 stalls out of the Taman Tun wet market. They now operate a pretty busy shoplot in Taman Megah...the wet market lot is still in operations but kept to a minimal.

Comments

Popular Posts