Whats with "dis"connection?

Technology…can’t live with them, yet can’t live without them!

Man’s relationship with technology and anything remotely related to technology is a unique love affair of sorts. And when I use the term “man”, I also referred to “woman”.

Over the past few weeks, we have been traveling a fair bit to the northern island state of Penang and then to Terengganu. In between, we’ve had some corporate training in town – some of the government agencies mad rush to cram as much off-site programs as possible into the month before being forced to hold their functions on-site. A directive that came within such a short notice to try and “combat” the evils of upgoing costs. I’ll get into that later.

But we’ve not complaining; hey, whatever that helps put bread on the table (no pun intended in the wake of us being reminded to reduce our intake of rice…again, another tale I will take up later).

In our travel, we take the Acer laptop provided for by our sponsors as this is the fair and right thing to do. While the hotel in Penang provides complimentary use of their wireless connection, for the one in Kuala Terengganu, we have had to pay a reasonable price. I don’t know if using many different outlets is the reason, but when we finally get back home, we just couldn’t get our laptop connected.

And to make matters worst, even the IBM laptop that we had left at home wouldn’t connect to the virtual world! Perhaps it felt hurt being left home alone…I can only imagine.

And so it was that we had to call in our usual maintenance support guys; unfortunately they were only able to come in the nite time since they work elsewhere full time. After a few hours of “tryings”, and checking and re-checking of all laptops, connections and router, only the Acer decided to get itself connected. Sigh, better than none at all I should say so.

Somehow in the few days we were "disconnected", things seemed to come to a halt. I didn’t even have the frame of mind to work on stuff that didn’t need internet connection. Not even to draft materials so I could just paste these on when the connections are back. I even started using the “disconnection” to disconnect myself from socializing with my coffee gal pals…duh!

Hmmm, now that we are somehow connected again, things are coming back to normal…well, not fully. The IBM is still in limbo…

Comments

Pin said…
Welcome back to the virtual work. Can get a Celcom 3G broadband... my friend tried it out, nice!
fatbottomgal said…
Hi Pn Roziana..
This is Nora.. we exchanged emails today. I have spoken to you over the phone a few years ago, concerning the homem@kers network. I am 39 yo and have finally started working from home. I'm going to read the rest of your blog now, and Thank you :-)

Popular Posts